if my father and mother had arthritis, does that mean i'll get it?

Dr. Christopher Dowd
Not necessarily: It depends on what kind of arthritis your parents have. While there may be some genetic predisposition for the most common kind of arthritis, taking good care of yourself, exercising moderately and regularly, and maintaining a healthy weight can all help you joints feel good for a long time.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 48 years experience
You will be,somewhat: Spondyloarthropathies, in aggregate, are more common forms of arthritis than ra.. They are quite hereditble to some extent. If you have a definite RA relative, you are very modestly increased in likelyhood, but not much. Diseases in the lupus family are midly hereditable, but not much. Gout is more hereditable than all the above, except spondyloarthritis.