what's the most effective way to treat child with diabetes insipidus?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Depends: The answer depends on the cause of the diabetes insipidus. Often time, diabetes insipidus is just a symptom, not the cause. The hormone involved is ADH (vasopressin) (antidiuretic hormone). If the cause is in the brain, treatment is to give back ADH (vasopressin) (ddavp) either in nasal spray or pill. If the problem is at the kidney, treatment is antiinflammatory (indomethacin) and diuretics (hctz and amiloride).
Dr. Rashed Hasan
DI: There are two types of diabetes insipidus: central (the hormone ADH is missing) and nephrogenic (adh does not work on the kidneys to concentrate urine). The former is treated by giving the patient the hormone ADH (vasopressin) and the latter with medications such as minocyclin. Ensuring adequate fluid intake is also part of therapy for both types (also see other answers on di).