Rockville, MD

does low dose cortef (hydrocortisone) heal the adrenals, helping the patient to feel well again and enabling them to eventually go off the drug? non-addison's.

Dr. Alan Feldman
Endocrinology 41 years experience
No: Taking any dose of steroid causes the adrenal glands to work less, as the pituitary gland regulates your adrenal hormone level. If your adrenal glands truly do not work, you need lifelong adrenal hormone replacement. However, i see people who have been diagnosed with "adrenal fatigue". This is not a true medical diagnosis. Most of these people have no adrenal problem at all.