AL

I got a filling today for cavity. three hours later, my tooth started hurting so bad that it made me sick. the entire side of the mouth is pulsating due to sharp pain. is it normal?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Post op pain: Normal? No. Call your dentist who actually knows exactly what the condition of your tooth was prior to the filling and what you should expect. It may take some otc pain medication and time to settle down, a bite adjustment or further treatment such as root canal therapy.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Deep restoration: It may have been a very deep restoration, close to the nerve of the tooth. If so, what you are feeling is normal. Did your dentist say anything to you after completing the restoration? I usually let the patient know if the filling was deep.
Dr. Pamela Asseff
Dentistry 29 years experience
Nerve pain: Go back to your dentist asap. It sounds like this is an irreversible pulpitis. This means that the pain will continue and you need a root canal or to extract the tooth. I highly recommend the root canal.
Dr. Thomas V. Dembski
Dentistry - Cosmetic 42 years experience
High or deep filling: If the filling was deep and near the nerve this could cause an acute inflammation and pain. Otherwise a filling that is "high" or hits the opposing tooth too heavily can cause a sharp inflammation/pain in the ligament that holds the tooth in the jawbone. I hope you can get in to have the dentist assess the problem asap.

Last updated Dec 21, 2015