U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

Is there a way to lose my belly fat while maintaining my weight?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 41 years experience
If you have: Belly fat, your almost certainly overweight, so weight loss would probably help. It depends upon the number of calories burned up that you don't eat, not the type of exercise. It's 3500 calories to the pound. Any exercise can be effective, except your body will choose where to lose the fat and you can't direct it to a specific place. The exercise can help maintain muscle in other areas.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
How about toning : Your abdomen? Fat loss requires weight loss. For flat abdomen eat healthfully ; be physically active. Calories burned must > calories consumed. To tighten ab's: crunches, reverse crunches, exercise ball crunches, pelvic thrusts, lying leg raises, side bridge ; “bicycling” exercise on your back. Engage in regular aerobic exercise (i.e., running, swimming, nordic track, bicycling, kickboxing, >>.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
Provided original answer
walking, cross country skiing, hiking, etc.)
Dec 28, 2013

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 19-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 28, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.