Cleveland, OH

is fibromyalgia an auto immune disease?

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Not likely: Fibfromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome. But one type of fibromyalgia is found to occur in rheumatic illness such as lupus.
Dr. Betty Keller
Rheumatology 35 years experience
No: No fibromyalgia is not an autoimmune disease. Fibromyalgia is a syndrome and not a disease. This means it is a collection of symptoms. The hallmark of fibromyalgia is chronic widespread pain. It is felt to be the result of overactive nerves. There appears to be abnormal processing of pain in the central nervous system. (the brain and the spinal cord).
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
General Practice 18 years experience
great answer. Wishing you'all the very best.
Mar 6, 2012
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice 53 years experience
No: ? Is fibromyalgia (FM) an autoimmune disease (AI). FM does not cause AI. Autoimmune diseases are caused by abnormal functions of the immune system and can be observed in many FM sufferers because of advanced soft tissue deconditioning incurred by AI sufferers. Chronic soft tissue injury and deconditioning is, to my clinical observations, a primary causal factor for evolution of FM.