i got a wisdom tooth out yesterday. i got stitches in my left lower jaw. this a.m it looks like a tennis ball. the dentist is closed today. i can open mouth a little. should i just take the codeine?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
35 years experience Dentistry
Typical healing: This is quite typical after surgical extractions of wisdom teeth. Remember to follow the instruction that the oral, surgeon gave you. Use ice packs for the swelling, 15 minutes on then 15 minutes off. Nutrition is important for healing, so soft diet, yogurt, cool soups, ensure, boost. Limit talking. This can take several days to heal. Call surgeon if you have concerns, but this sounds normal.
Answered on Jul 15, 2013
1
Dr. Randy Nolf
41 years experience Periodontics
A.M. Most swelling: You will be most swollen in the morning the day after. Ice helps stabilize so it does not get bigger. Get ice on it but it may not make it go down. Avoid heavy exercise, also bending over like working in the garden but still move around, be up right doing normal things. Swelling around the jaw muscles may restrict opening some. Advil, (ibuprofen) motrin, type meds are helpful.
Answered on Jul 29, 2013
Dr. Steven Koos
20 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
I agree with the : Other doctors comments. I would add though that the peak of swelling is usually 72 hours post surgery, so your "tennis ball" may even get larger. Once swelling presents, it is difficult to modify this. Ice for the first 48 hours & then on third day moist heat application to help reduce swelling. A tennis ball size swelling is a bit excessive though. Motrin 800mg, & narcotic for pain - & time.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
2
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
Answerng service?: My colleagues already gave you some excellent answers and advice. I would just like to add that any dentist, especially ones that do surgery, which includes extractions and removal of wisdom teeth, should have a way of their patients getting in touch with them. This may be a 24\7 answering service, a beeper (in days of old), or a voice messaging system. If he\she doesn't let dr. Know s\he should!
Answered on Feb 18, 2016