how can circumcision be done?

Depends on variables: For newborns the boy is positioned on a restraint.The area is anesthetized with a local and sanitized with an antiseptic.The foreskin is cut open along the top and a metal clamp is applied that protects the glans and defines the limit of the circular cut.The excess foreskin is cut and removed, the clamp is then removed and the site covered with vasaline and gauze.Other methods are also used.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Agree with Dr Ferguson about Gomco clamp technique for newborns. Personally prefer PlastiBell technique which starts out as above. However a PlastiBell device of appropriate size is placed over penile glans, foreskin is then pulled over "bell" part of device and then tied off with with string & skin beyond the tie is removed. The string compresses all blood vessels to & from the foreskin, thus bleeding is prevented. In my opinion this is safest method for infant circumcisions. Third technique is using Mogen clamp, used by Jewish Mohels & many others. Clamp is applied across foreskin which has first been freed from underlying glans and pulled beyond it. Foreskin beyond clamp then excised. Adult circumcisions are performed differently. 2 circumferential incisions made around penis, 1 on outer shat skin & 2nd close to groove under glans. Skin between is removed & skin edges sutured.
Jul 13, 2013
Provided original answer
I appreciate Dr.Klauber's perspective. I uses the PlastiBell for my years in the Navy (only equipment available) and found it adequate. However, the crusty dried serum that accumulates around the bell and string led to frequent phone calls and office visits by parents who thought it was infected. As long as the Gomco clamp has a proper silicone washer that allows a proper crush of the skin, I have no bleeding problems. After 200 PlastiBell and > 1K Gomco circs, I prefer the Gomco.I will never do a Mogan, I consider it scary.
Jul 13, 2013
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Also appreciate Dr. Ferguson's comment. Most important point is that the operator knows what s/he is doing.
Nov 9, 2013
Dr. James Lin
Here are ....: 1. see Doc, exam penis, counsel for indications, technical details, complications, realistic expectation, and sign OR consent; 2. return timely for circumcision done usually under local anesthesia as scheduled; 3. On the OR table, shave penis, scrotum, and suprapubic area next to penis at surgeon's preference; 4. perform circumcision just like doing a plastic surgery for penis ... 5. dress ... F/U