Australia

i desperately need sleep between 3pm and 6pm regardless of the previous night's sleep and regardless of my daily activities. how can i treat this?

Start having your DR: Check your thyroid level. Note you are on thyroxine for hashimoto's thyroiditis. Any underlying medical causes need to be addressed. Follow through w excellent sleep hygiene. 1. Keep a regular bedtime & wakening time (to include weekends). Get up the same time each day, regardless of what time you fell asleep. 2. Make a regular, relaxing bedtime routine. Relaxing rituals prior to bedtime may.
Provided original answer
include a warm bath or shower, aroma therapy, reading, or listening to gentle music. 3. Sleep in a dark, quiet, cool room on comfortable mattress & pillows. 4. Use the bedroom only for sleep & sex. Have work materials, computers, & TVs in another room. 5. Finish eating at least 2-3 hs prior to your regular bedtime. 6. No caffeine within 6 hours; alcohol & smoking within 2 hrs of bedtime. Alcoholism is a major cause for insomnia. 7. Exercise regularly; finish a few hours before bedtime. 8. No naps. 9. Go to bed only when sleepy. Lay in bed only for sleeping, not for work or watching TV. 10. Designate another time to write down problems & possible solutions in the late afternoon or early evening, not close to bedtime. 11. After 10-15 minutes of not being able to get to sleep, go to another room to read or watch TV until sleepy. Consider chamomile tea before bed. Warm milk. Lavender oil in bath or lavender scent on pillow. Melatonin is very helpful. Acupuncture often works well for insomnia.
Jul 9, 2013