San Francisco, CA

for last 4 days, i have woken up and found small amounts of blood in my mucus, i have not had a nosebleed in a year have just recovered from a cold.?

Dr. John Leander Po
Infectious Disease 18 years experience
Likely coughing...: If you have just recovered from a cold, then you are likely coughing. If coughing is done forcefully, it can break a small blood vessel, showing up as blood-tinged sputum. Not to worry. However, if it's frankly quite bloody, then go to your doctor. It needs to be evaluated.
Pathology 49 years experience
Watch and wait: Any inflammation can result in leakage of blood into the mucus. You may watch and wait. If it is does not resolve in a week or so, or gets worse, it would be prudent to see a doctor, especially an ENT doctor. Have a healthy diet, exercise, drink plenty of water, have safe sex, and get HPV vaccine. Wish you good health! Nutrition: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/.