Jordan

I had wilms tumor when i was kid , so i have one kidney , nw i take bodybuilding supplements , does it make load on my other kidney ? or its ok ?

Pathology 45 years experience
Your choice: The traditional teaching is probably that big doses of protein put your other kidney at risk for damage to the vessels and filters. It would also be a shame not to supplement as most bodybuilders do. This is one to ask a nephrologist -- does your enjoyment outweigh the possible risk, and might an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor make it safer. Ultimately the decision will be yours.
Pathology 45 years experience
Provided original answer
I'm not a nephrologist myself, but if you have normal blood pressure, are not leaking significant protein in your urine, and your renal function tests are near-normal, you will probably be able to take protein as you like. Get the data and make your choice.
Jun 11, 2013
Dr. Michele Lambert
23 years experience
Not a good idea: The fda does not regulate herbs and supplements (like it does pharmaceuticals), so that there is no guarantee of strength, purity or safety of products. They don't have to prove they are safe or that they work in order to advertise to you. If you have a medical condition (single kidney) you should speak to your own healthcare physician before starting any supplements.