is taking alcohol daily in small amounts good for health?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine 73 years experience
No: Alcohol is not a natural food and it may increase the liking for it and lead to addiction.

Canada

My husband takes 120 ml of alcohol daily that is 2 large pegs is it ok for his health ?

Dr. Tri Huynh
Dr. Tri Huynh answered
Gastroenterology 17 years experience
Alcohol: It is difficult to answer your question. Alcohol drinks have different strengths (alcohol content). However, on average, each drink has about 14 grams of alcohol. For men to drink more than 60 grams of alcohol per day is excessive and at risks for many complications, especially liver failure. Suggest 2 glasses of red wine for men.
United Kingdom

I'm on a 5mg dose of amitryptiline daily, can I drink a reasonable amount of alcohol with it? I have a night out planned and would like to get tipsy.

Dr. Linda Everett
Avoid alcohol: Alcohol increases the sedative effect of Amitriptyline resulting in extreme drowsiness.
India

How I should quit alcohol I usually daily take 300 ml?

Dr. Jeffrey Unger
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Vivitrol: Go to vivitrol.com and find a prescriber who can discuss this excellent intervention with you. Best of luck!
NY
A male asked:

Said everyday some alcohol is good for health. So what is better for health if taking small 1-2 portion everyday little wine or little brandy?

Dr. Vicken Poochikian
One glass with Food.: A glass of wine or 2 oz of Brandy a day with Food is good for your health.
TX

Does any liquid (coffee,soda,alcohol) count towards our daily liquid requirement?

Yes: Liquid from any foods and drinks count towards a person's daily liquid needs. That is because all oral intake is mixed with stomach and intestinal digestive juices, and then the water is reabsorbed out of that mixture.

Last updated Jun 12, 2013