i've never been sedated or put under anesthesia before. tips to treat this and help calm me down?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Steven Koos
21 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Best to allow: The surgical & anesthesia team a chance to help allay some of your fears. As doctors in this field we experience patients on a daily basis that have the exact same worries that you have. It is very normal to be anxious. The best help with this is talking more extensively with your doctor(s) & also depending on the level of your anxiety, you could benefit from some pre-op meds the night before.
Answered on Mar 22, 2014
1
Dr. Richard Pollard
30 years experience Anesthesiology
Relax: It is normal to be nervous about your anesthesia. In fact if you weren't nervous we would be a little suspicious. The practice of anesthesia is now one of the safest medical profession. The risk of dying (the big scare) is less than one in 350, 000. I always tell my patients they are at more risk driving to the hospital to have an operation than having the actual anesthetic. Talk to your doctor.
Answered on Oct 30, 2015
1