A 28-year-old male asked:
Disclaimer

what causes high blood pressure?

1 doctor answer
Dr. Steven Ajluni
34 years experience Cardiology
Genetics/lifestyle: More than 90% of HTN is essential (primary) in nature. This implies that it occurs on its own. The remaining 5-10% is secondary htn, which means another primary medical problem is driving the high BP (example renovascular, endocrine, catecholamine-induced, sleep apnea). Essential HTN usually based on increased vasoconstriction. This is made worse by obesity, salt/alcohol intake, sedentary, .
Answered on Feb 3, 2017
2
2 thanks

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 30-year-old male asked:
Dr. Christopher Nicora
23 years experience Internal Medicine
Essentially unknown: There are some secondary causes of hypertension but for the most part we do not know what causes hypertension.
1
1 thank
A 83-year-old male asked:
Dr. Nassir Azimi
22 years experience Interventional Cardiology
Stiffening of : The walls of the arteries. Hardening of the arteries, high levels of hormones such as aldosterone or adrenaline, blockages of the kidney arteries lea ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 53-year-old member asked:
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao answered
45 years experience Hospital-based practice
Hardening of arterie: Hardening of arteries, increased vascular tone/ resistance. Causes blood pressure to go up. Other associated feature hypercholesterolemia.
5
5 thanks
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Bennett Werner
43 years experience Cardiology
Nobel prize: For 90%, the cause is unknown and called "essential hypertension." anyone who discovers the cause will receive the nobel prize! the other 10% is att ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month