my grandma have double vision cross eye. doctor said 6th nerve outside of brain stopped working but nothing can be done. is there still help? thanks

4 doctor answers
Dr. George Yang
27 years experience Ophthalmology
Temporary ?: You need to find out if this is an isolated 6th nerve palsy thought secondary to diabetes or high blood pressure. If it is, then it is likely that within 3 months, your grandma's cross eyes will resolve by itself. In the meantime, she can wear a patch over one eye to get rid of the double vision.
Answered on Aug 1, 2013
2
Dr. Richard Bensinger
52 years experience Ophthalmology
A little: If this just happened, then we allow 6-10 months for some recovery. I assume MRI brain scans show no brain tumor or stroke. If she is beyond the 10 month period, and all else is negative, then all she can do is patch the eye with the paralysis. Prior to that, she could have had boxtox to the opposing muscle to prevent contractures. Discuss this with a neuro-ophthalmologist.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014
1
Dr. Daniel Schainholz
34 years experience Ophthalmology
Isolated 6th N Palsy: Isolated palsy of the 6th cranial nerve (abducens) causes a loss of innervation to the lateral rectus muscle of the eye. If due to a mini-stroke of the nerve's blood supply, some spontaneous improvement is possible. A pirate patch or fogging the glasses with tape will avoid the double vision, but when stabilized, prism glasses might help. Surgery to straighten the eye is possible later.
Answered on Oct 23, 2017
2
Dr. Howard Pomeranz
28 years experience Ophthalmology
Double visiob: Depends on the cause for the sixth nerve palsy. If due to high blood pressure or diabetes, the double vision may spontaneously improve on its own. Only patching to avoid double vision would be recommended for now.
Answered on Jul 2, 2013
1