IL

Do i have a mental disorder if i don't stand up for myself anymore? people talk bad about me to my face or behind my back. i don't do anything.

Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Maybe: If this is a change from your usual self, it may indicate a mental illness and warrants a psychiatric eval asap. If this is how you have been for as long as you can remember, it may or may not indicate a mental illness; though given the distress it appears to be causing you, an eval and psychotherapy to help you learn less distressing ways coping might still help. Good luck!
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Possibly: Many reasons can cause such reactions -- including depression and various anxiety disorders. Also trauma can result in shame responses, making it hard to stand up for yourself. Or, you have learned from early childhood that asserting yourself is not appropriate, and are simply following family-given rules. You can get help with any of these issues by working with a psychiatrist or psychologist.

Last updated Sep 29, 2016