KY

can osteopenia cause muscle weakness in your arms and legs?

Dr. Kevin Watson
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
No. : Osteopenia is simply softening of the bones. It is not painful and does not affect the muscles.

I have ametal platein my leg, and need anmri scanof my low back. Will the metal plate prevent me from getting the mri?

Dr. Stephen Saponaro
Specializes in Radiology
No: Before your MRI you will be asked a series of questions to determine if the MRI is safe for you. The metal plate in your leg should not prevent you from getting an mri. If you become uncomfortable during the scan, you may have to stop and take a break.

Im having saveir pain in my right upper calf I have a history of blood clots but in my arms the pain has been their for a while but not this bad. ?

Dr. Bradley Thomas
Vascular Surgery 19 years experience
Ultrasound. : It is unusual for blood clots in the calf to cause severe pain. However, the test is simple. Get an ultrasound to rule this out because you already have a personal history of deep vein thrombosis.
Sedalia, MO

38 f obese (but losing weight) have fatty liver. My right side under my arm around back be cramping. Could this be from the fatty liver?

Dr. Luis Villaplana
No: Fatty liver at your age should not be causing pain in that area.
Sedalia, MO

My son is 17 and plays football. Complaining of ankle hurting and pains shooting up his leg. Does he need a mri?

Exam first: There has been a lot of great diagnostic skill derived from years of training & practice that your physician can bring to the process of examining a patient.After an exam, the physician can decide if additional studies are necessary prior to treatment.
Canton, MI

Ankle swollen &deformed after knee replacement she is 200 lb what is the remedy?

Dr. Ronald Galyon
Orthopedic Surgery 35 years experience
Yes and No: Early in the recovery it is not unusual to have swelling from the knee down into the ankle and foot. With healing proper circulation is reestablished and usually the swelling returns to a more normal state. Ice, elevation, and compression and education may help but if the swelling persist too long more aggressive treatment may be needed. See, your surgeon.

Last updated Oct 9, 2017