what or where is sphincter of odis? had gallbladder removed 1 mo ago now excruciating pain. had ultrasound dr thinks its the odis sphincter

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
General Surgery 40 years experience
Common bile duct: The sphincter of oddi is at the bottom of the common bile duct, which empties into the second portion of the duodenum. It can be a source of discomfort, and the pressure can actually be measured my manometry. I'd back off to a lower fat diet, and recheck your liver fuctions. If this persists, you may require endoscopy for evaluation. Good luck.

Last updated Sep 15, 2013