can you tell me if a tooth has already had a root canal, will it hurt when pulled?

Dr. Nishan Odabashian
Endodontics 30 years experience
No--but why pull it?: If a tooth has had root canal treatment, it just means that the nerve has been taken out. Extracting it should hurt no more or less than it didn't. My question would be, "why are you having a tooth that has had root canal treatment pulled?" has it fractured? If not, there is a good chance that it can still be saved. 60% or more of my specialty practice is retreating poorly performed rcts.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
No different except.: There will be no more or less pain extracting a tooth that has had root canal therapy during the procedure as you will be numb from local anesthesia. However, rct teeth tend to be more fragile and sometimes removing these teeth become more difficult and therefore there may be more postoperative discomfort or swelling if the tooth fractures during removal.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
Depends: If the tooth has a severe abscess, then it may not be complete "numb" due to the amount of infection present. Usually, the dentist can achieve complete local anesthesia and the extraction of the tooth is painless. If you are concerned about discomfort during the procedure, discuss the option of IV sedation with your dentist or oral surgeon.