can you tell me how noticeable are scars from a breast reduction?

Dr. Jeremy White
Plastic Surgery 16 years experience
Depends: Scars do occur in breast reduction, as with any surgery. The question is how well do you tend to heal, what type of scar patterns are you willing to tolerate on your breasts, and whether or not you think that trading scars on the breast for improved shape and decreased back pain, if you have it. The scars tend to fade nicely for most people.
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
It depends: In fair-skinned people, 19 out of 20 people make a normal scar, which fades to a thin, pale line over the course of about a year. Darker skin tones and those with a tendency to make thicker scars will tend to have a more obvious incision result, but sometimes we are pleasantly surprised with how well the scar does. Despite the scar, breast reduction patients are some of the happiest patients!
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Depends.: Most patients tend to scar well; scars tend to fade over the course of time. However, these scars will always be visible; patients should have realastic expectations. Sometimes, scars benefit from additional treatment and/or revisionary surgery to improve their appearance. Overall, despite scarring, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.