when i wake up in the morning, the left side of my jaw hurts. what could be causing this?

Dr. Allison Greco
Dr. Allison Grecoanswered
General Practice 9 years experience
Tooth grinding: See your dentist or primary doctor- you may be grinding your teeth at night. The grinding motion may cause jaw muscle soreness, or irritate the jaw joint itself. There are other more rare causes of jaw and facial pain, and your doctor can evaluate you for these conditions.
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dentistry 38 years experience
See DDS first: First see your dentist to rule out any dental etiology. If the results are negative, you may be referred to your MD for further evaluation. Good luck.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Causes: Could be a postural issue when you sleep, a joint dysfunction problem, or an infection. Start the diagnostic process with a visit to your Dentist.