i got my mirena (levonorgestrel) out on 4/22/13, how long should it take to get my first period? i am trying to get pregnant and i still haven't gotten my period i am trying to get pregnant and i want to calculate .

2 doctor answers
Dr. Maulik Shah
24 years experience Clinical Genetics
4-6 weeks: Mirena (levonorgestrel) has mostly local effects although it can inhibit ovulation in about 45% of women as well. The half-life of the drug is about 18 hours so it should be out of your system completely within 2-3 days allowing your body to return to its normal physiology. If you have not had a period in 6 weeks, i would see your ob/gyn as this could indicate either pregnancy (yeah!) or delayed effect.
Answered on Jun 30, 2014
1
Dr. Jeff Livingston
22 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Depends: Most patients resume normal periods after Mirena (levonorgestrel) removal fairly quickly. Most will have their first periods 3-6 weeks after removal. For the first few months you will have to patient and monitor until you get back to normal. Your fertility returns almost immediately after removal.
Answered on Jun 30, 2014