i take zyprexa (olanzapine) and its making me hungry and causing weight gain. my doc is prescribing metformin. how effective is this and what dosage is effective?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Chris Hawley
Zyprexa, (olanzapine) Metformin: Zyprexa (olanzapine) can definitely cause weight gain. It is usually prescribed between 5-20 mg per day. The dose is increased slowly. Metformin shouldn't cause weight gain. Both medications are very effective for a variety of conditions.
Answered on May 8, 2013
Dr. Eric Levin
40 years experience Psychiatry
Varies with each Pt.: Sometimes dose reduction can help but this is between you and you physician. Metformin for dmii the usually dosage is 500-1000mg bid but this can vary as well. The dose can be adjusted based on the fasting morning blood glucose level and what is called the a1c or glychohemoglobin. Go to web md which will explain what the a1c is &dmii and all the info you need. Watch out for info over-load!
Answered on Mar 18, 2014
1
Dr. Martin Tamler
32 years experience Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Alternatives: Zyprexa (olanzapine) is notorious for causing weight gain. Discuss with your doctor sister med alternatives that don't have this side effect.
Answered on Jun 24, 2014
2
2 comments
2
Dr. Eric Rubinstein
Specializes in Psychiatry
Sometimes a lower dose of metformin will work.
Aug 17, 2014
Dr. William Haynes
36 years experience Endocrinology
I agree 100% that if possible an alternative to Zyprexa should be found,. Metformin has been shown to be effective for weight gain with drugs like Zyprexa, but only partially. Effective dose is 2000 to 2500 mg daily. I also have success with topiramate in a dose from 100 to 200 mg.
May 9, 2013