how long can one survive off dialysis?

Dr. Steve Montoya
Nephrology and Dialysis 47 years experience
0ne to thirty days: 1 to 30 days.

Are there any herbs that can get my GFR over 10% so I don't need dialysis?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Nephrology and Dialysis 40 years experience
No: No herbs have been shown to improve gfr, glomerular filtration rate, to save people the need for dialysis.

What happens if you skip dialysis appointments?

Dr. Rahil Malik
Bad things: If you miss your dialysis appointment, a whole slew of bad things can happen. As dialysis helps in maintaining the proper equilibrium of acids/bases, salts etc in your blood, missing your appointment can lead to an imbalance in your blood. This may lead to fainting, weakness, heart complications, and death! essentially, wherever blood may flow, problems can emerge from those organs.
Dr. Adrian Baudy IV
Nephrology and Dialysis 12 years experience
Your mortality increases, as you miss dialysis more often.
Mar 2, 2013
Dr. Linda Gromko
Have you considered peritoneal dialysis or home hemodialysis? You may find these approaches more user-friendly than in-center treatments. Ask your nephrologist, or read "Help! I Need Dialysis!" by Agar and Schatell. I imagine you are looking into transplant possibilities also. Good luck. LGromko MD
Sep 3, 2013

How do you know a diabetic needs dialysis?

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Kidney tests.: Usually it takes years of kidney damage from diabetes before you need dialysis. If you're diabetic, you should be getting kidney function and urine tests at minimum yearly, and these will tell us how well your kidneys are working and if you're heading toward dialysis. Your kidneys may be getting worse and without the tests, you might have no idea, so good f/u with your doc is key. Good luck!

What is the classic sign of hemolysis during dialysis?

Dr. Leonard Reeves
Watch for...: While I am not a nephrologist i understand that you should look for a falling crit line, severe pain, or a pink hue to the filtrate. There may be acute hypertension, shortness of breath, and generalized redness of the skin. All of these are indications that action should be taken immediately to remedy the situation.

What is conventional dialysis and how is it different from capd?

Dr. Stephen Chinn
Urology 38 years experience
Dialysis vs CAPD: Conventional dialysis is the "washing" of venous blood drawn from a vein and returned to the body. Capd-cont ambulaory peritoneal dialysis is washing of blood indirectly through the membranes withing the abdominal cavity: fluid is introduced into the peritoneal cavity and allowed to "sit" and exchange waste products from the blood and then drained-an excellent alternative-too often underutilized.