Canada

can mirtazapine cause brain zaps when stopping cold turkey?

Dr. Imad Khreim
Yes: Ssri's in general and snri's are more known to have that uncomfortable feeling when they are stopped suddenly. Mirtazapine have been described to do that to a lesser degree. Meds in general should be weaned off very gradually even if the person can tolerate the withdrawal symptoms . Good luck.
Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Yes: I like your term "brain zaps"! that's a good description of what happens with the discontinuation syndrome when stopping an ssri antidepressant. Technically speaking, Mirtazapine is not an ssri, but i suspect it could still cause aspects of the discontinuation syndrome with abrupt discontinuation.