i am pregnant, and as spring approaches, im not sure how to best manage my allergies. whats safe to take?

Dr. Sheila Goodman
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Many meds are safe: Many allergy medications are safe during pregnancy. Zyrtec, Claritin and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) are all proven safe. Nasal inhalers don't produce significant blood levels of medication and are also safe. Sudafed may cause some growth problems if used daily throughout pregnancy. Allegra hasn't been tested enough to know for sure if it is safe. Allergy shots can also be used during pregnancy.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Claritin (loratadine) or Zyrtec : Over the counter medications like claritin, benadryl, (diphenhydramine) zyrtec and allergra are safe to use in pregnancy. The mucous lining of the nose can be swollen in pregnancy which can make allergy symptoms worse. Otc nose sprays are also safe to use. There are a variety of prescription medications available as well.