can someone tell me how long will i be noticeably swollen after a total joint replacement of the tmj's?

Dr. Tracy Lovell
Rheumatology 21 years experience
See below: It may be for awhile but you surgeon can better tell you what to expect as he or she knows your history better.
Dr. Steven Koos
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 21 years experience
TMJ Replacement: Up to 4 -6 weeks. If you are within the first 48 hours of the procedure & already discharged for the hospital, an oral steroid like a Medrol (methylprednisolone) dose pak can be helpful & ice of course. Beyond 48-72 hours, you should be switching over to moist heat bilaterally. The bulk of the welling will peak at 4 days. But you will still have some perceptable edema even several weeks later pre auricularly.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Long time: 4-6 weeks. BUT, be careful about a TJR in the TMJ. Get SEVERAL OPINIONS before you do it. Big operation with big risks.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Surgery: Like any other surgical procedure you will be the most swollen after about 48 hours, and then swelling will begin to diminish. You will get best answer to this question by asking your Surgeon, the practitioner that has examined you, reviewed your history, etc.