if i never had tmj before, what could cause it to happen? i believe it could be stress, psychiatric drugs, a front tooth bonding procedure, everything

Dr. Brijesh Chandwani
Pain Management 11 years experience
Depends: Several factors (some which you have mentioned) including genetics, may lead to temporimandibular disorders. Bonding of your tooth wouldn't cause it though. . Talk to your general dentist and get an evaluation. You can also consult an orofacial pain specialist (www.Aaop.Org).
Dr. David Chrisman
Cosmetic Dentistry 33 years experience
Incisal interference: If your front lower tooth is made too high it can contact the upper tooth before the back teeth touch. This is called incisor interference and the jaw will then move back in order to avoid the interference and may be the cause of your TMJ symptoms. Close your teeth lightly and pay attention to what tooth hits first. If it is a front bonded tooth then have your dentist adjust those areas.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Depends: The stress needs to be under control first. True, if the tmj/tmd is leading to your stress, then you should see a dentist/tmj specialist first. It can be a double edged sword in that one can cause the other. Best if can deal with both at the same time...Stress management, etc. Combination of physical and emotional therapy may be needed.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
TMJ causes: Causes of TMJ syndrome are not completely understood.. Causes may include, misalignment (malocclusion) of or trauma to the teeth or jaw, teeth grinding (bruxism),, poor posture, stress or anxiety, arthritis or other inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders, excessive gum chewing. Treatment can be complex and beyond the scope of this answer. See a TMJ expert for guidance.