Arlington, TX

Apparently ibd can cause malnutrion and, over the years, a very low bmi. but my blood tests are always within limits? confused? 6'2'' 120 lbs

Pathology 44 years experience
Forget the numbers: As a pathologist and lab physician, it's my job to remind physicians and patients alike to ignore the numbers and focus on the people. "bmi" was never intended for individuals and you can be seriously malnourished with all labs in the normal range. But your height-weight discrepancy is extreme and makes me very concerned. Consider a consult for your inflammatory bowel disease care.
Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Preventive Medicine 40 years experience
Inflammatory Bowel : There are many reasons for irritable bowel disorders. A systematic approach to discovering underlying conditions such as candida, pathologic bacteria and parasites, low serotonin levels and altered thyroid hormones may all contribute. Wheat consumption may actually harm the lining to the intestinal tract. I believe you need a comprehensive evaluation to discover your underlying issues.

Last updated Feb 6, 2015