FL

Would it be smart to have an i.v. if having 2 dental implants for the 1st time? does an anesthesiologist give it or does dds do it all? credentials?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Unnecessary: All that is really necessary is local anesthesia. Nitrous oxide\oxygen analgesia is a nice adjunct to use for apprehensive patients. This should be discussed with the surgeon prior to the procedure. Iv sedation adds cost and possible complications but if you and your dentist feel you need it, by all means consider it.
Dr. Mark Collins
Prosthodontics 24 years experience
Implant and IV: Having an IV sedation is only needed when you are fearful of treatment and wish to be asleep. For dental implants this is not needed and most implants are placed without this. To administer IV sedation a dentist needs to have a state license to do that. Usually it is done by periodontist or oral surgeon.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
To further clarify the answer to your question, it has been by personal experience, that most Oral Surgeons administer their own IV sedation, while Periodontists usually have a separate Anesthesiologist come in to their office when needed.
Apr 22, 2013
Dr. Arman Roksar
Prosthodontics 25 years experience
IV not necessary: I've sedation might be too much for implant surgery. But if you want, the surgeon must be certified in sedation. Usually all oral surgeons are all certified. Most general dentist, periodontist and prosthodontists are not licsened to do IV sedation.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
Your choice: Some patients prefer conscious sedation -- not general anesthesia. Many do fine with local anesthesia. If you are comfortable having a filling with local, then you will likely be fine with the implant placement. It does not take long and it is only the tissue that is sore afterwards. See a specialist for the surgery and the restoration. Check credentials and know what brand of implant to be used.
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Cosmetic Dentistry 35 years experience
It's personal ..: If you are not very apprehensive about having them placed i would go without the IV sedation. The sedation can be done with or without an anesthesiologist. Many dentists have the special training for IV sedation. States vary to some degree on the credentialing. Good luck.
Dr. John Wilson
Anesthesiology 11 years experience
I would: I personally would want IV sedation. It can be given by a dentist, nurse or anesthesia physician. You will never go wrong having an anesthesiologist managing this. It is what i would do.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
If you require : Anything more than gentle sedation, you should have a separate person giving the medication and monitoring your vital signs, preferably an anesthesiologist.
Dr. Don Millner
Cosmetic Dentistry 43 years experience
You like spending $?: Iv sedation should be reserved for anxiety ridden patients and those that might need immobilization. Most tooth extractions are far more traumatic than implants. And ..Anytime you "go under" there are additional medical concerns. To my knowledge, the majority of implants are placed without IV sedation. Why spend the money and risk you health for adjunctive procedure that may not be necessary?
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Periodontics 42 years experience
IV sedation: The dentist doing the implants can sedate you if they have the proper training and license. In our office we use a board certified anesthesiologist so i can concentrate on my procedure and have the other doctor monitor the patient.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 43 years experience
No, Local is Great!: The surgical placements of dental implants (in conjunction with extractions or in a toothless site) is actually a much simpler surgery than one might imagine and less invasive. I have personally had two placed and had minor pain handled by motrin. The next day i was seeing patients and than no longer needed any pain medicine. Iv would be a good option for a complicated full mouth reconstruction.
Dr. Andrew Germanovich
Pain Management 13 years experience
Should be local: Sometimes patients insist on monitored anesthesia and when given by dentist there is a patient death almost every year in chicago alone. Local only or anesthesiologist present is what i would insist. Personal bias here though.
Dr. James Vito
Prosthodontics 37 years experience
Depends: Depends on your level of apprehension. In our office we have a board certified physician antes theologies deliever the IV sedation. It is difficult for a dentist to keep you comfortably sedated monitor your vitals and perform a dental implant surgical procedure all at the same time.

Last updated Feb 27, 2017