TX

diagnosed w/ minor gynecomastia its painful. cant afford cosmetic surgery can i legally ask my surgeon to call the procedure a bilateral breast biopsy?

Dr. Robert Uyeda
General Surgery 45 years experience
Actually: Gynecomastia surgery is not cosmetic. Surgery is called subcutanous mastectomy and it is covered by most insurance policies. Consult a surgeon, the office can tell you what cpt code is used in billing insurance, then you can confirm with your insurance company.
Dr. David Motoki
Plastic Surgery 41 years experience
Gynecomastia: Idiopathic gynecomastia does not have an underlying medical cause and will not harm your health. Therefore, medical insurance companies consider it a cosmetic condition and will not pay for treatment. Performing a medically necessary procedure such as a biopsy to treat a cosmetic condition would constitute insurance fraud.
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
Breast biopsy???: Unfortunately, insurance companies and regulators take a very dim view of this. It's called "insurance fraud" if you misrepresent a procedure.
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery 39 years experience
Painful male breasts: Pain in male breasts in a younger patient is likely hormone induced. See your primary care for assessment and management, biopsies are only indicated if there is a lump, mammogram is not helpful and there is suspicion of cancer. This concern arises in an older patient. It would be unethical for you as well as a physician to consider defrauding your insurance by misrepresenting facts.