U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Jose, CA
A 67-year-old female asked:

I have blocked tear ducts and my eye dr. was able to unblock them,but said i could still have surgery because the hole is small. can i just keep getting them unblocked periodically (if they block again) instead of having surgery? i am scared of surg?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. George Yanik
Ophthalmology 33 years experience
you may need to have the ducts enlarged to prevent watery eyes (epiphora). The surgery is not a big deal and is generally successful.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 24, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.