NY

I've had multiple lymph nodes in my upper neck for a year, doctor decided to do a chest x-ray. my doctor says that if lung cancer reached lymph nodes it would appear on a x-ray? also can an x-ray show other swollen lymph nodes?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Multiple lymph node enlargement in more than one area, should be further investigated. The plain Chest X ray is not as accurate as the HRCT scan. One next step would be to obtain a HRCT thorax and discuss your risk factors for malignancy with your PCP. A CBC, diff and platelets, ESR and other markers of cancer may be indicated. Infections should also be evaluated.
Pathology 49 years experience
If you have not lost weight in the year or so that you have had enlarged nodes, you are highly unlikely to have any malignancy, let alone lung cancer. You may feel the nodes every couple of weeks, if any of the lymph glands doubles in size, becomes painful, ulcerates, or other nodes become enlarged, or you develop fever, or lose weight, you should see a doctor. Wish you good health!

Last updated Aug 21, 2021