Portland, OR

Why is my deep scrape wound stinging so much. i previously was dressing it while using a silver nitrate ointment to prevent microbial growth. anyway now that i've let the wound dry it stings and has a clear scab. the wound is whitish pink?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Since silver nitrate ointment can cause stinging or actual burning of tissue, I wouldn't have recommended its use to treat your wound to prevent infection. It's main use is to remove extraneous granulation tissue that forms in certain wounds or cauterize bleeding. If you're concerned about your wound's current status, have a physician or surgeon examine and advise you.

Last updated May 14, 2021