AK

I was recently diagnosed with a scaphoid waist fracture in my right wrist. i cannot move my thumb down at the knuckle, is the scaphoid the cause of this or did i also injure the thumb?

Dr. John Bodell
General Surgery 50 years experience
An X-ray (3views) should see if any other fractures are present. By knuckle, I would think that you mean the joint next to your wrist. the loss of motion is probable due to the scaphoid fracture. Your hand surgeon should be able to help you. Physical therapy may help with your motion.
Dr. Kevin Watson
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
The scaphoid is a bone near the base of the thumb. Many patients feel the pain in the thumb as well as over the scaphoid. The xray should show any possible injury to the thumb as well. Other possibilities would include a tendon injury which is diagnosed on physical exam by your doctor.
Dr. Steven Brown
Hand Surgery 39 years experience
Could be tendon adhesion at the fracture site needs to be evaluated and sometimes requires tenolysis. can sometimes see rupture of flexor tendon due to incongruent fracture site

Last updated Apr 25, 2021