Canada

approximately how long until a tooth infection spreads? or will start swelling your throat/neck? i have a constant toothache that spreads to my ear. i have a pimple-like forming behind my molar on both sides, although the left side's the painful one?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
A pimple is a draining fistula, meaning you have an infection under the gingiva. Unless you have really decayed teeth at your age, the problem most likely is your wisdom teeth. This needs to be treated ASAP. The infection can quickly spread, and if it swells and closes your throat you will asphyxiate. Please see a dentist immediately for an exam and a prescription to control the infection.
Dr. Manami Yamaguchi
Dentistry 25 years experience
It could happen now. It is like walking through a field of land mines--it may blow up on your first step, or after 100 steps--when it happens, it happens FAST! Emergency hospitals always have so many people needing help ASAP that your infection can become fatal while waiting for your turn. You can die either from fast blood infection, or not being able to breathe. So be safe,see a dentist ASAP.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Dental infections do not self-heal. The infection has been spreading through your entire body, via your circulatory system, since the infection first started. lumps on both sides indicate that you may have 2 separate coincidental dental infections. how long it will take for you to become symptomatic, no way to tell. But the statistics are not with you. See a Dentist ASAP.