OH

i'm a 55 year old menopausal female with a bmi of 28. i exercise 7 days a week -- walking, cycling, skating, scootering, etc. at what age should one receive a bone density scan? my mom developed osteoporosis and was on fosomax in her mid to late 60s?

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Congratulations on you excellent physical activity which can enhance continued bone density and formation. However, if you are post menopausal and not taking estrogen replacement it is probably a good time to get a "baseline" bone density to compare for later use. Your mothers' history has a bearing on this answer.