Norwalk, CT

Why do things like exercise make the heart stronger like a muscle but things that make your heart pump harder like caffeine or amphetamine are bad for your heart? why doesnt it strengthen your heart the same way regular exercise does ?

Dr. Neil McLeod
Prosthodontics 50 years experience
Excellent Question: Think of the body as a machine and the heart as the pump forcing the oxygen carrying blood to where it is needed. An exercised healthy body has well sized (well trained) blood vessels that deliver and drain the blood easily to the heart. An unhealthy body with a heart and bodily functions artificially stimulated to overwork is strained. I wish I could write for longer, but the platform restricts
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod commented
Prosthodontics 50 years experience
Provided original answer
When you exercise regularly you train you body and improve the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and the adaptability of the blood vessels to cope with the increased demand. The body can handle this increased demand. An unhealthy body cannot cope and when artificially rushed by stimulating drugs, an adverse strain can be imposed upon the cardio- vascular system that can be harmful!
Feb 8, 2021

Last updated Feb 8, 2021