ZA

hi there, i've been experiencing a stomach/upper abdominal cramp/pain for 4 consecutive nights. it only happens while i'm asleep and wakes me up. as soon as i eat something in the morning it goes away. during the day i'm fine.what could be the issue?

Dr. Richard Romano
Stomach pain : I have noted this with the patients who have a hiatal hernia and overweight. The pressure due to the angulation while sleeping from an enlarged abdomen causes the issue. You should see a doctor in person to consider other possibilities like gastritis, ulcer, and GERD.
Dr. Donald Colantino
Hunger pains: Usually we don't experience hunger while asleep. Do you eat enough at supper time? Perhaps a light bedtime snack may obviate this symptom. Since you're asymptomatic during the day, I don't suspect any significant gastrointestinal pathology. If symptoms persist, consult a gastroenterologist for evaluation and advice.