ZA

Hi, i'm 17 weeks pregnant and my obsgyn has advised that i have a low laying placenta. i've recently noticed that above my pelvic bone, is swollen this is accompanied by pain in my pelvic bone, lower back pain and hips. is this normal?

Dr. John Berryman
"17 weeks pregnant" : At 16-17 weeks of pregnancy, the pregnant uterus rises out of the pelvis and causes protrusion of the lower abdomen, and pain from the increased weight of the pregnant uterus on the sacral spine, causing back pain, etc.. A "low lying placenta" requires continued observation by your OB physician, but in many cases is not a significant problem.

Last updated Jan 5, 2021