my doctor put me back on metformin after being off it for a long time. i have been hungrier than before and tired. what can cause this?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Hard to say: Perhaps your diabetes is out of control? High blood sugars can cause one to feel tired especially if you are a bit or more dehydrated from the high sugars. This can also cause one to eat more. One may wish to have the thyroid checked as well. Sounds as though you could have several issues going on and would need a good visit to your pcp. Get check out!
Dr. Jennie Law
Endocrinology 14 years experience
Uncontrolled diabete: I agree, likely your symptoms are from uncontrolled blood sugars, which is also the reason why your dr restarted the metformin. Fatigue and hyperplagia are classic symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes, and you should start feeling better when sugars come down, and when you're properly hydrated.