Greeley, CO

why is it when i touch the top of the back of my head it feels sore, ive been getting constant headaches too but my mri is normal, why is it normal when nothing normal is going on. im 60,is it possible for a brain tumor not to show up on an mri?

Dr. Lauren Bickel
Specializes in Family Medicine
Unlikely: MRIs are very sensitive in detecting brain tumors of almost any size, thus very unlikely you have one. There are other causes of head pain, like occipital neuralgia or neuritis which results from nerve irritation/inflammation & sometimes responds either to localized injection or oral steroids. Pain in front of head could possibly be temporal arteritis- also treated with steroids Ask your Dr @ it
Neurology 52 years experience
Tumor unlikely: As mentioned, MRI excludes tumor, and a tumor in your age group does not typically start with a headache. I do wonder about giant cell arteritis, and blood studies should be done. Occipital neuralgia, cervical spondylosis, and jaw problems may need consideration