hi, my 12yo daughter (on my healthpartners plan through uw-superior) has (what i think is) an ingrown hair in her armpit. it's been painful for 4-5 days, and getting worse. it is painful to the touch, but she doesn't have a fever. i'm not sure what to do. i just had surgery on my foot, but could drive her to her pediatrician in a pinch. i wanted to try other avenues first. any at-home treatments? ingrown hair?

Dr. Tinuola Adeyanju
39 years experience Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Warm compress: I am not sure how you made the diagnosis however warm compress may be helpful in relieving the pain. I wander if she has a process of hair removal and I wonder if the process may predisposing to the situation. You may want to evaluate the hair removal process so you could change it. Salicylic acid gel application after the warm compress may also help. Ibuprofen for bad pain with food.
Answered on Oct 20, 2020