Portland, OR

the center of my wound, which was caused by scratching, is dark red apposed to the surrounding pink wound tissue also there are two dents in it that look kind of speckled with small indentations, some of them with a slight white hue. is it necrosis?

Dr. Yvette Kratzberg
Wound care: A normal healing wound will have a dark red center with light pink surround. Proper care includes initial washing and disinfecting of the wound, followed by bandaging with a clean sterile dressing. Keeping the wound clean and dry for 5 days. You may notice some dark "scab material" forming. Watch for reddened edges, green or yellow "pus" and any odor and seek medical attention if these develop.