U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old member asked:

how do you treat deep vein thrombosis of the lower leg?

4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Timothy Wu
Vascular Surgery 18 years experience
Blood thinners: Most dvts of the legs are treated with blood thinners for at least 3 months, depending on their presumed cause. If the DVT exists higher up in the pelvic veins or there is significant swelling of the legs with a DVT of the veins in the thigh, there is some evidence to suggest use of clot-busting medications (i.e., thrombolytics) may improve long term outcomes. Consult with a vascular surgeon.
Dr. Joe Golowa
Interventional Radiology 19 years experience
Dvt: Traditional treatment is with anti coagulation therapy for 6 months. Some may advocate losing the clot if it extends to the iliac veins to prevent long term problems but the long term data is not necessarily there yet.
Dr. Timothy Wu
Vascular Surgery 18 years experience
Anticoagulation: Current guidelines for treatment of deep vein thrombosis, depending on the exact location of the clot (i.e., which vein), require treatment with blood thinners (i.e., anticoagulation) for at least a 3 month period, depending on what the presumed cause is and whether or not it is a reversible cause. A irreversible cause (e.g., thrombophilia) may require lifelong anticoagulation.
Dr. Creighton Wright
General Surgery 56 years experience
Anticoagulation: Traditionally with Heparin followed by Coumadin (warfarin) for six months. Depending on specific site and extent there can be options. See a vascular surgeon.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 41-year-old member asked:

Lower back pain radiates upto my leg thru butt?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Chan Hwang
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 27 years experience
You have sciatica.: Sorry you are suffering from this...There are several common causes of sciatica including irritation of the spinal nerves from a herniated disk. If your pain does not get better, if numbness affects the crotch, or if you have bowel or bladder difficulty then you need a surgical evaluation, otherwise your primary care provider can take care of getting the sciatica to cool down.
A 22-year-old member asked:

I walk duck legged and I think its my hips any way to loosen them up to stop causing pain in my legs?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Internal Medicine 41 years experience
Many possibilities: There are many possibilities. I'd start with making sure you have full range of motion at the hips - sometimes gentle and progressive stretching exercises can help. But you should get an evaluation from your doctor or an orthopedist of what is going on in your hips and knees.
Putnam Valley, NY
A 43-year-old female asked:

I need a knee replacement so my otto gave me painkillers till I go but lately I had a lot of pain so it says take 1to 2 every 4 hrs for pa?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nolan Segal
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Ice: Try to limit the pain killers. Usually an absolute max is 8/day. It depends on the drug and the strength. Cold packs for 15-20 minutes at a time can help. There are many different meds to try if the 1 you are using is not effective.
A member asked:

I have a bad knee I could not walk two weeks ago without a lot of pain my doctor sent me for a X-ray it didn't show anything?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Ish Rawal
Internal Medicine 19 years experience
Cartilage: Xray doesn't show cartilage damage. If knee pain is persistent despite normal x-ray then MRI should be done to explore other possible cause.
A 54-year-old male asked:

Pain in leg vains and swelling painfull to the touch?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Phlebitis & others: Pain and inflammation of the leg veins is called phlebitis. When this occurs it can be painful to the touch. The worrisome condition for which you need to get checked is a blood clot (deep venous thrombosis, dvt). This can be checked with a duplex ultrasound of your leg veins to make sure there is flow that is not blocked by a clot in your vein. There are many reasons for swelling so get checked!

Related questions

A 47-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 52-year-old female asked about a 86-year-old female:
4 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 51-year-old female asked:
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Sep 29, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.