how do you treat deep vein thrombosis of the lower leg?

Dr. Timothy Wu
Vascular Surgery 18 years experience
Blood thinners: Most dvts of the legs are treated with blood thinners for at least 3 months, depending on their presumed cause. If the DVT exists higher up in the pelvic veins or there is significant swelling of the legs with a DVT of the veins in the thigh, there is some evidence to suggest use of clot-busting medications (i.e., thrombolytics) may improve long term outcomes. Consult with a vascular surgeon.
Dr. Joe Golowa
Interventional Radiology 19 years experience
Dvt: Traditional treatment is with anti coagulation therapy for 6 months. Some may advocate losing the clot if it extends to the iliac veins to prevent long term problems but the long term data is not necessarily there yet.
Dr. Timothy Wu
Vascular Surgery 18 years experience
Anticoagulation: Current guidelines for treatment of deep vein thrombosis, depending on the exact location of the clot (i.e., which vein), require treatment with blood thinners (i.e., anticoagulation) for at least a 3 month period, depending on what the presumed cause is and whether or not it is a reversible cause. A irreversible cause (e.g., thrombophilia) may require lifelong anticoagulation.
Dr. Creighton Wright
General Surgery 56 years experience
Anticoagulation: Traditionally with Heparin followed by Coumadin (warfarin) for six months. Depending on specific site and extent there can be options. See a vascular surgeon.