why is it considered safe to get flu shot in first trimester even though it's a crucial development time when many birth defects take place? is it a risk vs risk situation, or do studies specifically show that its completely safe?

45 years experience Pediatrics
Basics: The flu shot ( not the nasal vaccine) is dead material that cannot infect the fetus or otherwise alter development. Many OB's will avoid its use in the first trimester just out of caution, but it is considered safe. Pregnancy is also a factor that increases the risk of flu complications & death. We had 2 maternal flu deaths in my town during one year.
Answered on Feb 21, 2020