ZA

I twisted my ankle badly in april 2017. whenever i exercise and put a bit of strain (e.g. running steps), it swells again. there is also a constant itch on my foot sole. what would be the best course of action to remedy the problem? thanks!

Dr. Robert Kneece
Specializes in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Time itself: Overtime this may get better.When you injure a joint severely,it is not uncommon for it to swell and may get better over time.However,these joints are more likely to develop arthritis also.So best to do is get you weight under control,not reinjure it and some inflammatory such as Tumeric if not contraindicated.
Dr. Richard Mallia
Ligament Laxity: After an injury such as yours, the ligaments may become stretched and ankle instability may result. The itching on the soles of your feet may be unrelated. You may want to try and ankle foot orthosis to increase the stability of your ankle and decrease the mobility. This will help the ligaments heal in a proper tension. If you still have difficulty seek a competent Podiatrist.

Last updated Feb 13, 2019