San Jose, CA

whats the difference between taking an iron supplement and eating food fortified with iron? if its added in, isnt it similar to taking supplement?

Dr. Donald Mantz
Dietary vs Iron pill: The amount of iron in most foods is very small, and you would have to eat a large amount of red meat, liver or other high iron foods to get close to the amount of iron in a supplement. There may be differences in absorption of iron from food vs supplements, and in different GI environment. The GI pH needs to be low for iron to be absorbed well, that is why response to iron supplements varies
Predictability: When treating a true medical condition like anemia due to poor iron stores, a pill supplement with a defined iron content allows a predictable amount of iron to be ingested and available to treat/improve the condition. Follow-up blood tests can be planned based on studies that compare outcome to standards. Foods supplemented with iron is a good but less precise way to deal with regular needs.