when i touch my right rib 4 fingers above my bellybutton it feels really sore and bruised. if i stretch it feels that way too. could this be serious?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Sore ribs: In the absence of any recent injury or strain, tenderness of the rib cage is unusual. Stretching would affect abdominal muscles. If the right upper abdomen is tender, gall bladder or liver inflammation is suggested.Tenderness in the upper midabdomen is seen in gastritis, pancreatitis or peptic ulcer. If symptoms persist, an examination by a physician is warranted.
Answered on Feb 23, 2018