Fort Lauderdale, FL

can panic attacks cause strokes? had 24 holter, echocardiogram, stress test, and renal ultrasound all normal. bp can get up to 180/100 sometimes at peak of attacks with heart rate anywhere from 130 - 170 bpm. resting 60 bpm with bp 130/84.

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Not usually: In a young healthy person, a panic attack will not cause a stroke. Elevated blood pressure of 180/100 is serious if it is persistent, but is unlikely to cause any problem over short periods of time. If you have an underlying medical problem - such as brain aneurysm or coronary artery disease - then a transient elevation of blood pressure can trigger a more serious event.